abrdn Property Income Trust (formerly Standard Life Investments Property Income : SLI) aims to provide an attractive level of income, along with the prospect of income and capital growth, by investing in a diversified UK commercial property portfolio.
Standard Life Investments Property Income is registered in Guernsey and invests in the three principal commercial property sectors: office, retail (including leisure) and industrial. It may also invest up to 10% in other commercial property and undertake property development (including speculative property development) up to 10% of gross assets. The Company can invest up to 10% in indirect property vehicles or funds but will not invest in other listed investment companies or investment trusts. SLI uses gearing with the aim of enhancing returns; the board’s intention is that SLI’s loan-to-value ratio (LTV) will not exceed 45%.
We have written a number of notes that explain how the fund works –
- “Resilient income in uncertain times“, published in May 2022, examines the manager’s approach to rocky markets
- “Post COVID ready“, published in October 2021, looks at how the manager is adapting the portfolio to suit changes in tenants’ expectations post-pandemic.
- “Focus on tomorrow’s world“, published in April 2021, looks at how the manager hopes to ‘future-proof’ the portfolio
- “Building for a new normal“, published in September 2020, discusses the manager’s recent purchases for the trust
- “Adding value in cautious times“, published in February 2020, explored the ways in which the manager tries to get the portfolio to beat its benchmark and peer group
- “KYT (know your tenant)“, published in July 2019, looks at how the commercial property environment is growing more challenging, it is important to know the tenant’s needs are being met.
You can access the fund’s website here